The EU posses three central funding instruments to support research and development:
- HORIZON 2020 - framework programme for research and innovation (2014-2020)
- COSME - Programme for the competitiveness of enterprises and small and medium-sized enterprises (2014-2020)
- ERDF - EUROPEAN REGIONAL DEVELOPMENT FUND - financial instrument for the implementation of the regional policy and the reduction of disparities between regions of Europe (2014-2020)
With these funding programs supports the EU among other things the transfer of technology and the expansion of business as well as the internationalization. Innovative enterprises, especially small and medium enterprises (SMEs), can profit from these programs.
The EIP, one of the specific programmes under the CIP, seeks to support innovation and small and medium enterprises (SMEs) in the EU, focusing on:
- Access to finance for SMEs through "CIP financial instruments" which target SMEs in different phases of their lifecycle and support investments in technological development, innovation and eco-innovation, technology transfer and the cross border expansion of business activities.
- Business services: the "Enterprise Europe Network". Business and innovation service centres all around the EU and beyond provide enterprises with a range of quality and free-of-charge services to help make them more competitive.
- Eco-innovation pilot and market replication projects for the testing in real conditions of innovative products, processes and services that are not fully marketed due to residual risks and that are aimed at reducing environmental impacts, preventing pollution or achieving a more efficient use of natural resources.
EBN is a network of around 150 quality-certified EU|BICs (business and innovation centres) and 100 other organisations that support the development and growth of innovative entrepreneurs, start-ups and SMEs. EBN is also a community of professionals whose day-to-day work helps these businesses to grow in the most effective, efficient and sustainable way.
- Enterprise Europe Network - Helping companies innovate and grow internationally
- Welcomeurope - List of all EU funding programmes managed by the European Commission and the EU
- EU funding and tenders
- Information over the regional policies in serveral EU coutries
- Eco-innovation Action Plan
- The Association of European Chambers of Commerce and Industry
- EU funding programmes